Virginia Tech and the Blacksburg Area
Virginia Tech, officially known as Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University or VPI & SU, is located in Blacksburg, a town of 35,000 in southwest Virginia near Roanoke. Blacksburg is between the scenic Blue Ridge and Alleghany mountains with spectacular mountain views. The area is excellent for outdoor activities such as boating, water skiing, golf, tennis, fishing and swimming on the New River and nearby lakes, hiking on the Appalachian Trail, caving and rock climbing. Cultural activities are available through several University performing arts groups and regional musical performances are also popular. Restaurants of all types and active student organizations are all found in Blacksburg. Minority associations are very active.
We are located on the campus of Virginia Tech in Blacksburg Virginia, which is about 40 miles southwest of Roanoke, Virginia. Click here to see a map of Virginia.
- If traveling by air...
Fly into Roanoke Regional Airport, which is served by several airlines, including USAir and Atlantic Southeast Airlines (a Delta connection).
You may rent a car at the airport or take the Smart Way Shuttle Bus.
As you exit the airport, follow the sign for Interstate 581 North--there is also a sign that says "Blacksburg". Stay in the right lane and take the second right, just as you get on a four lane highway. Follow Route 581 North for about 4 miles, until you see a sign for Interstate 81 South. You will exit left. Stay on 81 South until you reach Exit 118C (about 25 miles) at Christiansburg (also called Virginia Tech Exit) then turn right; travel for about 1 mile, and turn right onto U. S. Route 460 West. Follow U. S. Route 460 West to Blacksburg until you reach the exit marked "Virginia Tech" (this is Rt. 314, or Southgate Drive). A large campus map is on your right in the first pull-over. (Approximate travel time from the airport to Virginia Tech is 45 minutes.)
- If traveling by car...
To reach the campus from Interstate 81 (southbound and northbound):
- Take Exit 118 to reach the exit ramps for all three of the exits at this location. There is only one exit ramp serving the exits; missing the ramp means a trip north to Exit 128 or south to Exit 114 to turn around.
- Take Exit 118B onto U.S. 460 West. This exit connects directly to the Christiansburg Bypass. Follow the signs for Blacksburg/Virginia Tech. The new U.S. 460 bypass between Blacksburg and Christiansburg is open to traffic, creating a limited-access highway from I-81 to the campus entrance at Southgate Drive.
- Watch signs carefully for routes and directions. From the new bypass, Bus. U.S. 460 -- South Main Street, exits to the right (take South Main Street as one route to reach downtown Blacksburg). Stay on U.S. 460 West, signed for "Virginia Tech, Bluefield" to continue directly to the university.
- Drive for 2.5 miles on U.S. 460 to the traffic light at VA 314, Southgate Drive. Turn right onto Southgate Drive. There is a campus map a quarter-mile on the right and the Visitor Information Center is a half-mile from U.S. 460 on the right.
- To reach downtown Blacksburg, continue on U.S. 460 for about a mile to the Prices Fork Road exit for "Downtown." At the second traffic light on Prices Fork Road is access to campus via a right turn onto West Campus Drive. Prices Fork Road ends at North Main Street. Turn right onto Main Street to reach downtown proper.
- ONCE YOU ARE ON CAMPUS
Examine the large campus map and find West Campus Drive. The Program Coordinator's office is located in 2018 Hahn Hall (second floor) on West Campus Drive.
Click here for a campus map.
Parking... A parking permit is required on campus and should be obtained at the Visitor Information Center on Rt. 314 (Southgate Drive). You may park beside or behind Hahn Hall when you visit the Center.
- The Inn and Conference Center at Virginia Tech is located on campus, across the street from Hahn Hall. Reservations can by made by calling 540-231-8000.
- Holiday Inn - University is a 10-minute walk from Hahn Hall. Reservations can be made by calling 540-552-7001.
Visit the Blacksburg Electronic Village for more information.